Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Telcos in Singapore
View Single Post
Old 16-12-2019, 10:23 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
I would say there is a large wage gap in Canada, especially when comparing cities. A manager with 7 - 12 direct reports in Vancouver could be making $90K-$105K in (If you're lucky) whereas the same role in Toronto would be $110K-$125K. Taxes in Canada are tough - you lose 30% to 40% depending on your income bracket. I'm afraid I don't know what folks in Singapore are pulling in, but I would assume the same, if not, similar in range. I have no children and currently single, so I can take on these risks. The lifestyle is more attractive to me than the money. Would be nice to meet a local with the potential of raising children together.

Ideally I would like to own a car, but buying multiple properties are out of the question at this point., Let alone, buying one on a single income seems like a pipe dream. What's it like to buy/own a car? We pay 13% harmonized sales tax in Toronto when buying a car, and various fees here and there.
Noting that CAD is roughly on parity with SGD, the managerial salaries in CA don't seem high to me. CA taxes are way higher though. SG's income tax for a 120k income is just $7,950, or less than 7%. Google for "singapore iras income tax rates".

A car is super expensive compared to the rest of the world. A brand new Toyota Camry costs $152k (cheapest Camry model). And you can only take a max loan of 60%, which means you have to pay 40% in cash.

For properties, it's worse -- 20% "additional" duty for any property purchase. 0% for citizens if they are first-time owners.

It's not all bad. As a poster mentioned, the locals here have an affinity towards western things, including non-caucasian people from the north american continent, people who speak roughly the same accent as Hollywood movie characters.

Since you said you're from Vancouver, I'm guessing you're an Asian Canadian?