Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Telcos in Singapore
View Single Post
Old 16-12-2019, 04:54 AM

bcrdukes is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
If Toronto is just summer and winter, then Singapore is just summer and rain. Also, the humidity here kills.

The ease of commute here is true though, because Singapore is so tiny.

As for salary, could you share more on the average compensation packages in CA? What's your impression of the pay packages in SG? Our income tax rates are relatively low here, so if you don't aspire to own a car or buy multiple properties, you will not incur the other hefty indirect taxes/duties.

I'm not from telco, but I heard that the telco industry is under pressure given that more licenses have been awarded, which I think is the government's way of pushing the industry to innovate and compete.

Starhub has retrenched some employees just slightly more than a year ago:

s://.todayonline.com/singapore/starhub-retrench-300-full-time-employees-restructure-company

Do you have kids?
Apologies in advance for any spelling mistakes and any incoherent sentences as I am responding on a mobile phone.

Hi, and thanks for the reply.

I am okay with the humidity, so I can deal with that. I grew up in Vancouver, so rain is non-issue.

I would say there is a large wage gap in Canada, especially when comparing cities. A manager with 7 - 12 direct reports in Vancouver could be making $90K-$105K in (If you're lucky) whereas the same role in Toronto would be $110K-$125K. Taxes in Canada are tough - you lose 30% to 40% depending on your income bracket. I'm afraid I don't know what folks in Singapore are pulling in, but I would assume the same, if not, similar in range. I have no children and currently single, so I can take on these risks. The lifestyle is more attractive to me than the money. Would be nice to meet a local with the potential of raising children together.

Ideally I would like to own a car, but buying multiple properties are out of the question at this point., Let alone, buying one on a single income seems like a pipe dream. What's it like to buy/own a car? We pay 13% harmonized sales tax in Toronto when buying a car, and various fees here and there.

I am aware that the market is much more competitive in Asia bit seeing 300 people get laid off is small in comparison to that of Canada; It’s not abnormal to read in the news where thousands are laid off every year. I was once a casualty.

Last edited by bcrdukes; 16-12-2019 at 04:58 AM.