Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - How is life as a doctor in Singapore?
View Single Post
Old 10-12-2019, 12:17 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Currently an Singaporean going to study medicine in Australia, I’ve been hearing rumours that Singaporeans abroad are being denied a PGY1 spot in Singapore. Is this true? Even though there are 100+ schools that are cut from the second schedule? I will be finishing Med school in 6 years, will the problem improve as years pass if true? My school is still on the second schedule. Thanks
Lazy to register for an account and new to this forum.
abit of B/G for myself. I've spent my student years roaming SGH on weekends and holidays just because i am IMG trained in aussieland.

Yes rumors are very true, I have friends who are denied jobs in SG for PGY1, I was lucky to survive the PEG interviews so I managed to secure jobs back home. ^(My friend had 40+ neuro publications under his belt)

No the situation will not improve over the years.
Let me do the math
The yearly HO (PGY1) spots is already maxed out around 6XX places.
NUS - 300
NTU -150
DUKE NUS- 80

That leaves about 100ish spots left

Not to mention those who gets through the PEG interview, I will put this number now at 50. (UK USA AUSSIE and everywhere else)

That leaves just 50 spots up for grabs.

Monash brings in around ?60 sg med students yearly and that is just 1 school alone...

So to answer your question, you will have to get a plan B and know that there is a high chance you cannot come back to SG.

BTW, waaa ^to the senior who talked about team 1 under dr chao and miss chng.
Couldnt tell that miss chng was a SARS survivor. << She is still she, very much alive and kicking ass in OT