Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - How is life as a doctor in Singapore?
View Single Post
Old 04-12-2019, 08:04 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Cost of living. In general the big ticket items like car and housing is 5 times cheaper here in Alberta than in Sinkieland. A new Toyota Corolla is about $20k. A 2nd hand Toyota RAV4 is about $25k. My single family walk out basement (3 levels of living space) with mountain view cost me $760k in 2013.

So if you count the modest 3-4 times cheaper cost of living here, your earnings has to multiplied accordingly.
I know people often complain about the cost of owning cars in SG. But IMHO owning a car is not really a necessity in SG. Rather, it should be regarded as a luxury since it is a depreciating asset and the public transport is so damn cheap and efficient. Relying on MRT/Bus and the occasional Grab taxi is more than enough to get around. No real need for cars.

In Canada (outside of Toronto and Montreal), if you don't have a car, you will literally freeze while waiting for the public transit, so cars are more of a necessity. Also, cars are cheaper and public transport is more expensive compared to SG, so the cost of owning a car vs public transport in CAN is not as significant.