Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - How is life as a doctor in Singapore?
View Single Post
Old 04-12-2019, 07:53 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
There is something called Old Age Pension that everyone gets. You get $613.58 monthly.

Sports? I think the big difference is you can win the Olympic Gold with Canada than with Singapore!

I agree the laws on crime in Canada are very lax. And criminals will want to give it a try. The Police also cannot be bothered with loss of property without injury.

So "safety" when it comes to being attacked and injured or killed.....I'd say it is still safe in Canada. But theft and hit and run etc is very common and goes unpunished.

The whole drug thing in Canada is a problem. But I think it goes with upbringing. You will find that it is more prevalent in certain ethnic groups and social strata.

Marijuana is very safe. Way safer than ETOH. It is over played as a damaging drug.

mark my words Cannabis will be the next wave of pharmaceuticals in the industry. We will be moving towards sublingual tablets, fast release. No more inhaled vape or smoke.

dr canuckbub
Winning an Olympic gold in SG gets you $1 million. Winning an Olympic Gold in CAN gets you $15k.

I agree that Marijuana in the adult population is safer than alcohol. Adults also have better judgement and can decide for themselves if they want to use it. But what about in the adolescent population where children succumb to peer pressure more easily? Marijuana use (esp in adolescence) has been shown to lower threshold for psychosis, increased likelihood of dropping out of school, poor cognition and lowered IQ (cited from 2014 NEJM article).

If you send your children to public schools, they will interact with some schoolmates who are using these. Unfortunately, some will give into peer pressure and become hooked. If you send them to private schools, there is a lower risk but not insignificant. But then your 120k after-tax salary would not be enough to afford this.

In SG, even sending your children to mid-tier public secondary schools, your chance of exposure to marijuana or other illicit drug is almost zero.