Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - How is life as a doctor in Singapore?
View Single Post
Old 04-12-2019, 07:12 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Not him, but don’t forget, you still get a pension. You get free healthcare. Cars and houses are cheaper there and houses are all freehold. When you are unemployed the government takes care of you, thats something to think about.
Most doctors in Canada do not have a pension (unless they are employed directly by the hospital). They are independent contractors that bill the government for their services.

When unemployed, Canadians get employment insurance because they paid into it while they are employed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Your children can do whatever they want when they grow up there, unlike here where everyone’s scrambling to get into medicine or settle for engineering/business/IT, literally one can become a plumber and make a comfortable living. Can be a sportsman for a living if one’s good and passionate in it. Have you seen how much professional hockey players earn from Canada? Don’t have to serve 2 years compulsory military service. Don’t have to deal with stresses of a rat race at a young age. Singapore is literally rat race since day 1. Only problem I see in Canada is that some places have majority white people so you may feel uncomfortable no longer being the majority race.
Agree that blue collar jobs are poorly paid in SG compared to north american/european countries. Sportsman in Canada can't make much either unless you're Olympic level like Patrick Chan

While facing less academic pressure, children growing up in Canada have to deal with other stressors. There is strong peer pressure to use substances such as alcohol, weed or other illicit substances which are easier to come by, especially the first two items since they are legal.

I think one important but often overlooked factor is SG's safety. In SG, the crime rates are so low (even petty crimes) and homeless are few. I do not fear if my children stay out later in the evening in SG compared to Canada. Although violent crime rates in Canada are low, petty crime is actually quite high. I would be afraid if my children stayed out later in the evening. The homeless population is significantly larger and more visible in Canada than SG too.