Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Career as Teacher
View Single Post
Old 29-11-2019, 12:23 AM

JustAnotherPrimaryTeacher is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
It has only been 3 years since your last promotion. It’s not slow. It’s normal for most people. The average promotion timeline for most ppl is 4-5 years. Most ppl will have a CEP of SEO1. If that is your CEP and you count the number of years you have in service, how fast do you think you will be promoted?
Fully agree. It is not like annual increment where you get promoted yearly. Even for consistent top performers (e.g. A B A etc). In my years of working in the school, I have not heard of 1-year promotions from GEO 3 to GEO 4. Maybe you misread as GEO 2 to GEO 3 (That would be more common due to Male-NS etc.).

Must remember, a generic teacher's pay ceiling is usually within the GEO 5 range (7k+). You have to be considered for a position for SEO 1 hence many teachers will probably just hit GEO 5 and remain there as it is also where they have passed the 'chionging phase' and will not 'chiong' so much in their career due to other commitments (e.g. family).

So if most teachers end off at GEO 5, unless your CEP is high with consistent good performance or at least a mix of above average and good, then I would say you can hope to get your GEO 3 - 4 in less than 3 years. Average GEO 3 - 4 for average performers is usually 3 - 5 years, or longer if you were emplaced onto GEO 2/3 from previous diploma. Many factors come into play actually which I myself am also not in the know. Best way is, ask around and find out from friendlier colleagues to gather more data