Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - How is life as a doctor in Singapore?
View Single Post
Old 28-11-2019, 12:48 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I am currently a mo finishing my bond soon (end of next year)
Failed to get into residency after couple of attempts, so thinking of becoming a gp. Has done postings in medicine and some of the subspecs, Ed.
Was wondering how easy/difficult is it to get a job with some of the private gp chains in singapore? (Eg raffles, healthway, one care etc..) I don't have locum exp unfortunately.
- noted that some of these chains are publishing job positions on online portals (sma job portal) and on their website, but just curious, how difficult is it to get these jobs?
You shouldn't even be asking this sort of question. Why does it matter "how difficult" or "how easy"?

If you want to get a job, go apply for it. If you get the job offer you can always turn it down or negotiate start dates etc.

From experience in 2004-2010 I would say it is not difficult at all. However be prepared to be doing the evening and weekend shifts to start. Or even better the late night to midnight to overnight shifts. From what I have heard the GP market has become EVEN MORE competitive in the last 9 years.

Here are some tips I learned as a GP in sinkieland

1) Always do what the patient wants. The practice guidelines mean nothing to patients. And a happy patient will never complain even if you didnt do the best "medicine" according to guidelines. Whereas if you followed guidelines to a T and the patient is pissed you still have to answer to the complaint. Remember unhappy patients ALWAYS love to falsify allegations and make you out to have done worse things than you actually did.

2) It's all about $$$. So forget about moral and ethics. Customer is king. Happy customer = happy boss = happy bank account = happy you. (yes maybe your conscience takes a hit but then it is just YOU that might be unhappy). Unhappy customer means EVERYONE will be upset. So throw the conscience under the bus.

3) Despite what the guidelines say about antibiotic resistance and polypharmacy, sinkies love their medicine. Going to see the GP is to get medicine not to listen to you lecture them on guidelines. One very senior GP said to me, when you order char kway teow or whatever if you didn't say you didnt want chili you will get chili. You have to say you DON'T WANT CHILI. Same with antibiotics. Also best to give one medicine for every symptom. That makes you a good doctor who has listened to the patient. One for fever. one for cough. one for phlegm. One for sore throat. One for stuffy nose. One for runny nose. And of course antibiotics.

4) It is more about being friendly and being able to ******** rather than medical skills.