Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - prospects of a scholar
View Single Post
Old 24-05-2011, 03:23 PM
Former scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by bongewj View Post
alot of things that have been said boils down to what one feels is a good job. and i think that varies quite alot from person to person. one might think that a good job is one that pays sky high wages, and someone else might think that a good job is one that offers a decent pay with a unique experience. it also depends on how much one is aiming to earn, how much will he or she be comfortable with. I guess when i started this thread, i was a little too caught up with all the talk of money and stuff. don't think dsta pays very well, but it'll probably be decent. and it's might be a phone caller's job, but you do get to learn about pretty interesting things. i'm quite fed up with singapore's teaching style. they might say they're changing, but i think, and quite a few of my friends do as well, that they're too focused on rote learning and scoring that grade. makes it less of a learning experience. so i've decided to go to umich after all.
Bongewj,

I'm a former scholar. Not DSTA, but I know a number of DSTA scholars.They're generally not too happy with the pay, career progression, nature of work or job prospects after DSTA. Overall, I would not recommend it. It's decent, but not really right if you're ambitious and want to do a lot with your life.

I know it's hard to turn down the opportunity to study overseas, but think long-term: four years of university abroad vs the trajectory of your career (20-30 years of your life) after university. I think the latter is more important.

If you really want to study abroad, some options to consider:

Look into financial aid, grants from universities abroad. Quite a number of US universities are willing to give financial aid to foreigners.

Study locally but do exchange programs to get overseas exposure. Many of our local universities now offer semesters abroad or even joint degree programs.

Do your undergrad locally but your masters/phd degree abroad. Foreign universities are usually more willing to provide sponsorship for post-graduate study