Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Compare civil service salary
View Single Post
Old 24-05-2011, 07:53 AM

econfin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
When I started my career as a civil servant, I was confident and enthusiastic about public sector work. Civil service as a lifelong career was a very real possibility and I didn't entertain thoughts of joining the private sector.
Thanks man. I suppose you were under the PSC scholarship, since you're talking about the Admin Service? Unfortunately I've come to the same kind of conclusion as you have, perhaps a little prematurely but nevertheless true. Admin Service offers the best combination of intellectual and personal satisfaction and epitomizes the kind of work I signed up for. On the other hand, a non-AO career does seem bleak, like what you have described. Overall, when I signed on the dotted line, I was like you - never entertained a career in the private sector, passionate as I was - but I've since come to the realization that the kind of broad policy work I signed up for is by invitation only. I also got a shock when I looked a HDB prices with my girlfriend, and realized that perhaps I should have listened to my parents and gone into finance.

However, since you're in the HiPo scheme, have you thought of staying on to be a Director? As HiPo + scholar, perhaps you're 99% gonna be director? I'm told that Directors do have considerable influence over policy, even if non-AO, so if you can be a D in a policy area you're interested in, it might be a good option. I'm not sure if this is true though - you would know better than I do. At least, Director pay (MX9 + bonuses) isn't bad from what I've heard - about $250k and upwards depending on performance? Again, correct me if I'm wrong!

Lastly, if you don't mind me asking, what kind of salary and progression should I expect if I don't make AO but can stay on in the HiPo scheme?

Anyway, I'm glad you've made the decision to leave. No matter what other people might say, you're not too old in the early 30s. Which industry are you headed for?