Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Career as Teacher
View Single Post
Old 13-11-2019, 08:27 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hi, I am the original poster. I'm quite thankful to everyone for providing valuable advice about such a situation, and I'm also glad that some of you also share my concerns.

In fact from here, there is actually a greater overarching concern that I have. Our country, and hence our education system, has always allowed for religious freedom, but how open is everyone (including politicians, teachers, SLs) about it? If such "sticky situations" really need to be addressed, are teachers actually allowed to openly discuss it?

We are always told not to touch on religion and LGBT issues, yet students actually already have a lot of knowledge about them, and form their own personal opinions about them. And being teachers, we lack the authority or permission to surface or even address such opinions.

Will there really be a day where our people can discuss such issues openly?
Like many other teachers, I fundamentally support secularism in schools. However, I do not support the way that we practice secularism in schools.. by way of avoiding as much as possible to potentially offend religious entities. It almost seems like secularism is subordinate to the whims and fancies of religious entities because we are too afraid to engage in any discussion at all, no matter how potentially constructive such discussion may be.