Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Career as Teacher
View Single Post
Old 11-11-2019, 12:29 PM
Unregistered

I think it is a valid concern as some teens are more vulnerable to heavy peer pressure than others and may have difficulty saying no, especially after feeling like they have made a certain level of commitment (e.g. regularly being physically present church services or events, forging what feels like close friendships with people in church) yet don't really want to commit themselves to the religion itself.

But it is a sticky situation as like the original poster said, there is freedom of religion in Singapore, and therefore the extent to which a school can police the practice and the spread of religion outside of the school compound and school hours is very limited. Any actions taken by the school will be under close public scrutiny and there are many dangerous OB markers. As much as the school can accuse the church of proselytisation, the school can also be accused of curtailing freedom of religion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
You must be a very responsible teacher to think along these lines.

Personally, I was from a mission school almost two decades ago.

There were many who went to the same church.

I went too, for curiosity. Nope, I didn't know the purpose of churches. But that was why I went.

I think there's a line between parenting and teaching. As teachers, unless the situation is so grave (i.e., the church mentioned is actually promoting undesirable messages) it is up to parents themselves to find out what their teens are doing.

To put your mind at ease, after the period of curiosity, I decided going to church wasn't for me. It was good exposure.