Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Career as Teacher
View Single Post
Old 10-11-2019, 10:35 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hi all, I need some advice on this. But before that, I wish to just mention that I am not targeting any particular groups in Singapore.

Apparently in the recent years, many of the older students and alumni have recruited many of my current school students to a church. Some teachers actually do know of this because some students have been using it as a reason not to come for Saturday activities or camps. Of course, we usually warn the students that it is not a valid reason.

However, I do have greater concern for the influences their seniors or friends are having on them.

1. Our government allows religious freedom. But at such a young age, do they really know the purpose of religion? Or are they just fol....

this
You must be a very responsible teacher to think along these lines.

Personally, I was from a mission school almost two decades ago.

There were many who went to the same church.

I went too, for curiosity. Nope, I didn't know the purpose of churches. But that was why I went.

I think there's a line between parenting and teaching. As teachers, unless the situation is so grave (i.e., the church mentioned is actually promoting undesirable messages) it is up to parents themselves to find out what their teens are doing.

To put your mind at ease, after the period of curiosity, I decided going to church wasn't for me. It was good exposure.