Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Advice in getting into private banking, investments and fund management
View Single Post
Old 29-09-2019, 05:15 AM
Unregistered

This thread is years old, but I thought I'd add a positive perspective for anyone else Google sends here.

If you're struggling to get a 'core' finance role, you can always go the long way round and start in a support function. Finance companies all have marketing, IT, HR departments etc. Once you're in the door, you can start working your way towards a finance role.

I switched over to financial marketing in my late 20s. I could demonstrate a basic knowledge of the industry due to my academic background in economics and it was clear from my CV that I could work under the expected level of pressure.

I would say a CFA (foundation or Level I) would definitely interest a potential employer if you went for something like a marketing job. It wouldn't be enough on its own, but the negativity in here is OTT.

The direct route is obviously the most profitable, but if you happened not to choose to major in finance (or maths/physics/engineering) when you were a teenager, the door isn't completely shut.

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app