Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Net worth? Mine is negative.
View Single Post
Old 20-05-2011, 12:35 PM
Unregistered

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by debt View Post
Out of my 6k take home pay now, 1k goes to car, 3k goes to debt, 2k goes to monthly expenditure.
Your fixed expenditure of 2k is lower than what I thought, considering your priorities in the upper posts (parents, kids, wife, util, etc.).

If possible, you may wish to re-finance your loans to reduce the net interests charged on yourself.

Take my example: I was a fresh graduate in 2009 who just got into first job. Thus, I had study loan as my liabilities. (Approx 20k, at 4.75% interests rate) As months went on, I re-paid consistently $800 a month for about 1 year. Then an opportunity came: Balance transfer at promotional rate of 2.5% per annuam (only for 6 months). This came from bank issuer of my credit card.

Thus, I took the 10K balance transfer. I wrote 11K cheque to close my study loans. This saves almost half of interests rate by half, as well as the duration, and instead of paying 800 for another year to cover 10k (not counting interests), I cut payment time to 6 months. This forced myself to be more disciplined. (if i don't pay back by the end of 6th month, interest rate will jump to 16+% starting day 1 of 7th month).

Hence, I cleared my 20k loans in 18 months, and saved about 300 dollars of interests (comparing to previous plan of paying 800 consistently for slightly longer than 2 years).

Sometimes, creating new debts at lower costs is certainly better than holding on to old debts at high costs, as interest rates fluctuates with market conditions.

Good luck, bro! PS: I'm still not married, so that makes it easier to be disciplined.