Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - SIM-UOL fresh grad starting pay
View Single Post
Old 02-09-2019, 02:18 PM
Unregistered

s://.asiaone.com/News/Education/Story/A1Story20090731-158291.html
Sun, Aug 02, 2009
The New Paper
DESPITE the economic downturn, fresh graduate Tan Peiling had no problems looking for a job.

The 23-year-old found employment a month after graduating in mid-April this year.

Miss Tan, who graduated from the Singapore Management University with a Bachelor of Science (Economics) and a second major in Corporate Communications, was recruited by Citibank Singapore (Citi) under its one-year Citi Banking Trainee Programme.

She said: 'I thought that there would be fewer jobs on offer or that it would take me longer to find one.'

But her job hunt proved more smooth-sailing than she had anticipated.

She applied for10 jobs, and received the offer from Citi three weeks after she had applied.

The Citi Banking Trainee Programme is supported by the Monetary Authority of Singapore's (MAS) Finance Graduate Immersion Programme (FGIP).

The FGIP was introduced to encourage financial institutions to provide fresh graduates with industry and research attachments during this period to develop talent in preparation for the upturn.

Apart from Citi, a number of financial institutions have signed on to the FGIP, including DBS, UOB, OCBC and Standard Chartered Bank.

Miss Tan said she had found out about the programme via word-of-mouth.

She said: 'My friend, who'd previously worked in my department, told me what the job entails. I'd always wanted to work in a bank, so I didn't want to miss this opportunity.'

Trainees are deployed across the bank's corporate, consumer and private banking departments, and maybe trained in front, middle or back office operations. Miss Tan is now a Relationship Management trainee in the Corporate Banking department.

She said: 'The learning curve has been steep because I've had to learn about the systems and processes of the bank, and pick up finance terminology from scratch. 'But I've received a lot of on-the-job training. Citi is a great place for a fresh graduate as the people here are very motivated, and you can learn a lot if you take the initiative.

At the end of the programme, trainees may be offered full-time positions.

Fresh graduates who prefer to create employment opportunities for themselves can turn to SPRING Singapore's Young Entrepreneurs Scheme for Startups (YES! Startups) for first-time entrepreneurs.