Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Career as Teacher
View Single Post
Old 28-07-2019, 02:42 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hi all, I'm at my wits' end. I've been put on no-pay leave because a female student has accused me of touching her breasts - which is totally false. It is now a police case. My lawyer says that I've a good chance of not being convicted, and I intend to plead innocent, because the student has several loopholes in her accusation. (I think she accused me because I was very strict towards her and clique; they are Sec 4 NT, very rebellious).

If I'm cleared of my name, should I remain in the school or apply for open posting? And if I apply for open posting, will this accusation follow me, even though I'm innocent? Or should I just quit?

Thanks for your advice!
The accusation will not follow you on paper if you are cleared. However, the way things work in society is that it will follow your name informally for a while as long as there is a trail of people who have heard about it and know that it is you. If I were you, I would at the very least take some time away from schools, go to HQ or get a secondment somewhere. Let it blow over. It is a pity that in Singapore, investigations surrounding sexual misconduct tends to take the "guilty until proven innocent" approach. And suspending the duties of persons under investigation is just erring on the side of caution. Sorry to hear of your predicament.