Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Pharmacy or Chemical Engineering
View Single Post
Old 26-07-2019, 11:35 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hi, IGP isnt everything. If you are an A level student deciding which course to pick, please please please research more instead of choose your course based on IGP (which is what i did, tho thankfully it turned out well for me in the end).

IGP is really dependent on students' demand/course allocation supply.

For example, the Environmental Studies course in NUS FASS requires straight As to get in because the class size is as small as 20 per year/batch. Prospects wise though, IMHO it is not that good.

So one explanation for the IGP difference between pharmacy and chem eng now is because there are ~300 openings for NUS Chem eng while there are only ~150 openings for NUS Pharmacy.

Another is the difference in perception of how well the oil and gas sector is doing right now vs the medicine/pharm sector. Oil prices have seen better days...it halved from 2014 to 2015 and stayed approx stagnant ever since. Huge O&G majors have adjusted their bonus packages for employees ever since. In contrast, the pharm/medicine manufacturing sector is one that is here to stay.
And i dont tink environmental science requires straight As most of the years, more like 2As (around 81-82 igp) can secure you a place somehow