Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Career as Teacher
View Single Post
Old 23-07-2019, 08:42 PM
Unregistered

Hi, I'm not very sure how I should phrase this, but I'm sure these are quite common problems everywhere.

1. RO likes to dump work on people. RO's pattern is, if you don't have a good reason not to do it, then you should still do it, despite it seeming unfair when others in the department don't have the same workload. And for the people who do it well, they find even more work getting dumped on them to fulfil the department's KPI.

In such scenarios, I don't really know how I should react. Should I keep arguing about unfairness? I've tried explaining nicely, and I knew it was pointless when my RO's response was "Hope you can understand...blahblah". Should I escalate, yet risk my performance grade by my RO?

2. There are some experienced teachers who are extremely close to their own RO, other KPs and STs. I can already see that they don't have to worry much about progression, or having large workloads because of this. However, what's worse is when they feel "threatened" about other people's performance, and try to bring them down by spreading rumours or reporting every little thing to the RO. For teachers, the risk of getting warnings/termination is much higher than other jobs from every little *POSSIBILITY* of accidents/reports, and what's worse is whistleblowing isn't considered an offence if an officer deems it suitable to report (no consequences for whistleblowing). How do you deal with these situations?

3. Students hate their teacher/teacher's teaching style. Comes to find me for help. Sometimes I don't know whether to pity them or to tell them off, because students always seem to be the biggest losers in such controversial situations. Yet if I keep helping them, it not only adds on stress and responsibility to myself, it also embarrasses the other teacher (regardless of whether they really care or not). This is even more dangerous when the other teacher is my RO. How would you deal with this?