Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - SIM-UOL fresh grad starting pay
View Single Post
Old 23-07-2019, 02:55 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I have graduated from SIM about 5 years ago and it was one of the worst decisions I made in my entire life then! Would like to share my learning and story with all to avoid falling into the degree bandwagon.

Like every aspiring grads then, I envision myself working in banks or financial institutions rolling in the dough. However reality sets in , upon graduating I sent out countless cvs to banks, financial institutions and MNCs and only 1 SME responded asking whether am I interested to take up another position in the IT department as IT support. They were more interested in my diploma which was in IT instead of the degree.
As I have been jobless for about 9 months with little or no response then, I went for the interview and subsequently took up the offer with a starting pay of $1.6k. With the impression that I could look for a proper one while earning a pay cheque. That illusion was shattered as I still could not get any responses and interviews for finance or banking jobs. Speaking to a number of recruiters later, they shared my experience is already too entrenched in IT support and their clients would rather hire fresh grads from locals or foreign unis.

It has been 5 years and I am now drawing close to $3k a month as IT support lead but I am still servicing the study loans I took out to study 8 years ago. Have just settled about 40 percent of the loan and have another 8 more years to go which by then I would be 35. I am currently planning to take a part time computer science degree sometime in the future from a local unis once I manage to clear my previous study loans. Yes another degree as the business degree I gotten then is really irrelevant for me in this field.

My mentor shared that then instead of studying for a degree from a private uni, I should have started working. This way I could have save up the cash and hopefully upgraded myself and could pursue a part time degree with a local university after 8 to 10 years working and saving for it. That would improve my earning potential and also reduce any financial burden

Just sharing what I have been thru and what I learnt during these few years.
For poly grads, don't jump onto the bandwagon to get a degree from private unis if you can't enter a local uni. Instead just head out and work, save the money and if by 30 or 35 you are still keen on pursing a degree, can consider part time at local unis.
As for private uni grads, just be grateful you have a job, clear your loans fast if you have and don't be sour at this discrimination, just accept that's the price for not studying and taking things seriously during the younger days.
Good comment! 9 out 10 Private uni people will always have to be beggers! while only 1 out of 10 local uni people will have to be begger in life with those being the lowest achievers like third class honors people!!!!