Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Lawyer Salary
Thread: Lawyer Salary
View Single Post
Old 08-07-2019, 09:21 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Agree.
It's a really shitty industry. Nice seniors and mentors are few and far between. Low pay, long hours and lots of abuse. Not to mention, there remains prejudice against mid-career professionals. I had an ex-boss who did not look at CVs of mid-career professional at all (automatic disqualification from consideration). I asked him why and he said it indicates indecision and an inability to follow through. I don't know if this is widespread, but i know it's a mindset that exists.

It's not all bad, i guess.

If you're one of those people who want to give back to society and do community law (and are able to look past the low pay, long hours and abuse) i think you could carve out a fulfilling existence within the industry. I would say that there is more room now than there was before - there's recently been a push to raise the "status" of community law lawyers. They used to be seen as the scum of the profession and would get constant abuse from their "learned friends". It's not the case anymore.

Alternatively, if you survive the first 3-7 years and move in-house, life isn't bad at all. Sure, you don't earn millions of dollars like certain SCs (and you also don't get hauled up by law soc for overcharging), but its enough to live a pretty comfortable life.

Truth is most people leave practice at pqe 3, 5 and 7 or thereabouts. Most of these people aren't "weaklings" who "can't cut it".... they simply realize that there are perhaps other things in life that are more deserving of their time (family, kids, own business, etc).

The decision you make should really depend on what you're looking to get out of this career... and more importantly what you (and your family assuming you have a partner and children) are willing to sacrifice to see you through it.
Hey guys, thanks for the answers

Am the original poster who asked the question

Am an accountant by training with exposure to finance
Studied arts during jc days and parents thought a local accountancy degree would help build a solid career and grades weren’t good enough for local law

Now a few years down the road, with decent savings and no relationship commitments
Thought it would be great to pursue a dream of my mouth to be a lawyer