Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Lawyer Salary
Thread: Lawyer Salary
View Single Post
Old 08-06-2019, 08:02 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I believe that poster was referring to the current situation now. What you mentioned isn't wrong, though I wouldn't say plenty of de-listed uni grads have better lives, but there is a minority who are doing quite well. But that is because they entered the market when it was not so competitive and easier to find TC and be retained. Not to forget, Part A was more bearable last time. I have been hearing rumours that the Company Law Exam in Part A as of now is so difficult that even current corporate law practitioners aren't able to answer in two hours, much less your graduates.

The situation now is quite dire. If you are from a de-listed uni with a 2:1 or 2:2, the odds are highly stacked against you to even obtain training. Some of the big firms are cutting down on trainees and the retaining numbers are decreasing bit by bit. It doesn't help that this current trade war between US and China may hurt Singapore significantly as we rely heavily on global trade.

Even those with 2:1 from the still-listed UK universities like Nottingham, Warwick and Bristol are finding it extremely difficult and I heard from hearsay that even the often-shunned Chinatown firms do receive requests for training even though they have never advertised. Law is no longer milk and honey anymore, rather it has become tougher to survive over the years, hence the high attrition rate.
I’m not saying they have better lives because they come back and get TCs at the Big 4 (which in any case is happening now as well) but that they stay to train in London. Alot of them have leveraged their London experience to enter partnership immediately after returning to SG.

What you say re. grades are just as applicable to NUS students. Someone with a 2:2 is going to struggle to find a job, regardless of what uni they come from. In contrast, the people from my batch with 1st class from de-listed unis were all able to find TCs before graduation. Sure not all of them might be at a prestigious firm, but for every Chinatown TC there is one in the Big 4 or in London.