Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - How is life as a doctor in Singapore?
View Single Post
Old 27-05-2019, 08:09 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Thank you again for your response. The plan would be to work for a few years after graduation, before deciding if the move to SG would be suitable. The move is mainly due to personal reasons, and I have entertained the idea of raising my children in SG.

Despite working for a few years after graduation, I believe that given that my credentials are foreign, I would still have to work under a limited license for 2-3 years. I am still a little confused as to how one gets promoted from an AC to Consultant. Is this a title that is given out by the local society (DSS in this case) or MOH? Are there any specific criteria for promotion? Do they limit the total number of Consultant positions, such that an existing Consultant would have to retire before an AC can be promoted?

From my limited experience speaking to Singaporeans, it seems like many did not know the difference between a "Dermatologist" and a "GP/FM with a diploma in Dermatology", which is unfortunate given the significant difference in training. However, it makes me wonder if many patients really do shop around for the senior consultants or HOD. If the "GP/FM with diploma in Dermatology" can thrive (IDS Clinic, Niks Maple Clinic), it begs me to wonder if the word of mouth recommendation remains more valuable than these academic titles.
In Singapore outpatient consult is out of pocket. Outpatient clinic insurance are very limited. A GP charges $50, a derm charges $300. who would you go to for simple cases of eczema or contact dermatitis.