Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Anyone jobless for a long time before?
View Single Post
Old 15-05-2019, 03:09 PM

lazyplane is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hi, I have 2 job offers. One is a start up, the other is a job scope I have keen interest in. But I am worried I can't pass probation as they have high expectations. I need a job badly and hope to stay long. I worry I will regret not choosing the start up company if I fail the probation in the other company. What should I do ?
Not sure if this is a real post but here are a few tips

1. Recognise the anxiety you have is real but do not feed it. And Focus on the Task at hand .
Eg - Dont worry about your tomorrow problem which is theoretical. Focus on just doing what your new company / boss give you as task to the best of your ability. Also know that studies have shown that if your body/ mind remain in such an anxious state of panic, it will be difficult to perform well. Give yourself a chance to relax so you can perform better.

2. On which job to take - my recommendation :Pursue your job interest. Not the company.
Why?? People perform best when their passion and skill are aligned. The company (be it a start up or matured company) is just an avenue to express that skill. When you acquire the skills , you can choose the companies you want to join. Or rather they will chose you.

3. High Expectation and Staying Long.
Before you worry about your boss or the company expectation of you, what are your own expectations of yourself? Did you expect to goof off and laze around ? (Hopefully not !) And if you had expectations over yourself, would it not be that many of your own expectations are aligned to these high expectation set ? If not, ask yourself – what is the basis that these expectations are formed ? Eg Are they reasonable ie standards that you can achieve if you have given it all. If so, then relax. Be answerable to your own high expectation first before you worry about other people expectation.

Also, instead of hoping that the job will be there for us. I remind myself constant that the job only pays bills. And no one owes me a living to keep my skills marketable . I owe it to myself to make myself marketable and to make myself financial independent.

Finally, enjoy the fact that now you have 2 job offers ! Recognise the moment ! ie that you have now moved on from the stage of jobless to being employed. Be Thankful as you have move on. Continue to do so and support others whom are not as fortunate.

Cheers ! and Congrats !