Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Lawyer Salary
Thread: Lawyer Salary
View Single Post
Old 11-05-2019, 03:28 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalBeagle View Post
Based on your academic profile, if you come back directly after graduation, you may have trouble even getting into a local Big4 firm. The sad reality about practice in SG is that local firms here expect to pay peanuts for diligent, highly qualified warm bodies. US firms generally do not take pupils into their SG offices, preferring to poach trained associates from their competitors.

Also, US firms here generally do not pay Cravath, save for two (Latham’s and Milbank). All the rest pay either local Magic Circle rates or a funky mysterious mid-Atlantic rate which sits between MC rates and proper Cravath rates. They use the tax differential/cost of living argument as justification for this difference.

So if you’re looking to earn NY scale salaries in SG, your best course of action would be to fight for a job in the US market in a mobile area of law which would allow you to move back to SG such as cap markets, B&F, Project Finance etc. I don’t know anything about the NY legal market so I can’t say much. I imagine you’d face strong competition there, though quite certainly not as fierce as the fight you’d face here!

You face an additional complication due to the need to consider family. That’s a tough one which you’ve got to decide on your own. I’ve turned down many amazing overseas job offers throughout my years in practice, for the sake of family. I’ve always felt short term regret, but in the long run I think staying is the right thing to do. I don’t think I could face myself if I’d allowed my aged parents to die alone in their twilight years. On the other hand, it does seem silly to come back to this cheapskate, crowded market and take local firm salaries when you could potentially be earning literally 4 times as much in a US firm (and note, this is not an exaggeration).

Thank you and the other anon dude so much for your advice! It sounds like I really have to do a couple years in NY (if I actually get a job) before lateralling back huh... I guess I'll do that if that's what it takes.

And I'm glad you chose your family over money! I hope I can do the same too.