Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Thinking of doing an Digital Media diploma/degree? Read this first.
View Single Post
Old 01-05-2011, 06:21 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
I studied animation in Poly, only to be doing some other things in life now. the animation industry in Singapore is a very young one... let's face it, the culture in singapore is if it doesn't make money fast, it's over. The company or business funding a animation feature doesn't understand that good animation takes time to be produced. and since they are in business, the nature of business is return of investment in the shortest time. 4-5yrs for a good animation film? dream on. It's too long for them to see the returns.

next, the education system. when edb starts to promote animation, every tom dick and harry school starts to teach animation. who oversees the quality of the sch & the lecturers? who QC the syllabus? and what do they teach? software operators or story teller? these 2 are very different job scope. 1 just operate and animated and bring characters to life and another bring life to the story. the education that I had was to be a software operator. not a story teller. and for guys, after poly, u need to go and serve ur NS. more than often, you will lose your software skill. let's not kid ourselves. the software changes like 2 or 3 times within ur NS life. How do you catch up? so naturally, after you are out of the army, you are back to square 1 again, learning software, but maybe faster.

Next, the quality of life for animtors. It is common for animation house to squeeze dry their workers. they have too, if not, how do they survive? plus the fact that the government doesn't regulate a min wages for the industry? this result in the fact that some aspiring animator will be willing to work for free just to build up their portfolio. If you get employed, you will need to work hard and fast. u stay back to work. you render stuff. but if the clients are not happy, u have to reanimate. just ask yourself how long can you hold out for passion?

i can go on and on.. but its too tiring and too sad to write anymore.
Our local Animation industry - www.hardwarezone.com.sg