Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Compare civil service salary
View Single Post
Old 15-04-2019, 01:55 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
However in my experience, AD in ministry is really paid as AD. Whereas Manager in SB can be paid like AM in ministry.

If salary is an indication of the demands, then AD in ministry is not equivalent manager in SB.

Manager in SB usually are not involved in strategy, they only take instruction from HOD and manage the operations staff or the vendors. In SB, AD can be considered HOD. They do get involved in strategy with upper management.

This is my opinion. I have heard of others also saying what you suggested, my opinion is they don't understand the nuances of each role. In their simplified perspective AM, M SM is all manager. AD, D, XD is all director.

Of course, when doing the real work it is not so clear cut plus everyone want to shine to be promoted thus the boundary is very grey. A person who wants to move from M to SM will always involve themselves in strategy though it is not required of them.
i am a AD in one of the ministry drawing less than 7k. my friend is a Manager in a SB drawing more than me. a Manager in my ministry is drawing only 5k plus. of cose i am also aware there are other smaller SB that had a DD equivalent to my level of salary.

You may be right about the job scope though since in general, we in Ministry are the one who work on the strategic routemap while SB are the one who execute it.