Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Compare civil service salary
View Single Post
Old 18-03-2019, 02:41 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I was recruited to join the CS even before I graduated. Although I was not a scholar, I eventually earned a scholarship to further my studies and in the process was bonded for 5 years upon obtaining my Masters at an overseas Uni in the US. After my bond, it was no longer an option to leave the CS as well it would be very challenging to adapt to new environment and culture of the private sector.

Two big factors on why I chose to stay in the CS:

1. Job nature. I was involved in challenging and exciting projects early in my career with good colleagues. Have ample opportunities for official overseas trips and training courses. Even now, the CS (at least in the organisation I work in) has always maintained a progressive culture encouraging staff to upgrade continuously.

2. Job stability and benefits. Making up for the relatively lower pay, the CS provides a good level of job security and stability. The benefits are not that inferior to those of MNCs.

Over a lifetime in CS, we can build up a comfortable retirement nest egg - less the worry of retrenchment.
It is good to hear that you had a scholarship. There is no strong reason for you to leave CS.

I don't think CS is alot worse off in benefits and pay when we are comparing private sector jobs in general. Private sector pay is dependent alot on the company, nature of role and industry.