Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Compare civil service salary
View Single Post
Old 18-03-2019, 08:36 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
If you want to come out from CS, better do it when young because CS work experience doesnt count for much in the private sector. The other factor is the energy level is higher when younger and you will need this higher energy level in the competitive environment in the private sector. The "typical" movement is for people in the private sector to get into the CS after they have amassed enough wealth from their private sector jobs, and they want a lower work tempo albeit lower remuneration in the CS.

I am a "true blue" CS employee, having worked more than 33 years in the CS. I have countless colleagues leaving the CS to join the private sector with varying levels of success. A few have done well in the private sector rising to top management levels while a big majority have not. Those who were not successful in the private sector ended up worse off than those of us sticking through thick and thin with the CS. On the other hand, those who were successful in the private sector are miles ahead of us both in terms of management level as well as wealth accumulation.

Now, ironically, those that did not fare well outside (in the private sector) are trying to get back into the CS, but without success (even though they were willing to settle for lower pay), and those that the CS wanted back are those who are successful but are not willing to come back into the CS.

You have to decide early whether you want to try out the private sector and not wait till you are over 30.

When I compare with my ex-classmates from the uni, I think I (with a career in CS) am among the top 15 in the class in terms of career progression and wealth. Many who worked in the private sector have experienced one retrenchment! At our current age, some of my classmates have stopped working because they have given up looking for a job, but as you know, in the CS, we can work beyond 62. The choice is ours.
Thanks for sharing. What is your deciding factor to stay in CS and not venture out to private sector.

I have not worked in CS but dont think I can afford the risk of being jobless when I am in my 40s.