Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - SVPs in banks
Thread: SVPs in banks
View Single Post
Old 17-03-2019, 07:20 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
A lot of the information on this forum is based on hearsay, some numbers are very bloated. It is understandable that people tend to remember bigger numbers that shocked them and like to quote such as if they were part of it and make themselves feeling superior. The truth is actually not that difficult to find out though. IRAS publish data every year from which we can easily identify how much percentile of the working population actually earn how much. Even for banking, 200k p.a. is also consider quite a decent pay for someone with 10-15 years of working experience. And the upwards corporate ladder is not easy for every to climb - simple truth is, in any industry, top of the pyramid is always small and tough to get to.

Just to provide what's relevant to this thread, I can share my own employer's corporate level and salary range (annual base) as of 2017. It is one of the top banks from US, one of the systemically important ones
AVP: 75k-150k
VP: 100k-200k
SVP: 150k-300k
ED: 200k-400k
MD:250k-500k

my typical VP colleagues are in their late 30s to early 40s, with 10-15 years working experience. some high achievers reach SVP before 40 but quite rare. MDs are typically those with 20+ years of experience in the industry.

MD level onwards, part of the compensation will be stock. the higher the level, the more of the stock component. our CEO's base salary is 1.5mil, but his total package amounts to 20mil+, majority is stock.

to add more context for expats, for international locations, multiply the above figure with the below coefficients:
New York/San Francisco: x1.5
Chicago/New Jersy: x1.2
Rest of US: x1.1
HongKong: x1.15
Japan: x0.9
China/South Korea: x0.85
Taiwan: x0.7
India: x0.4
Longdon/Frankfurt: x0.8
Belgium: x0.9

These figures are for corporate banking. For investment banking there's another system, generally you multiply these number with 1.5 for same grade in investment banking

Good post! Thanks for sharing