Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Anyone jobless for a long time before?
View Single Post
Old 15-03-2019, 04:02 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Words from my HR friend

Our schools raised us to have a certain attitude and mindset, but taokay actually don't like this attitude and mindset, so they actually prefer to hire non Singaporean to 'celebrate diversity' plus non locals tend to be cheaper. The reason why there's a quota, is because if there isn't, no Singaporeans will be hired. Yes there's many reasons, but even large rich companies, tech companies, international schools, prioritize Asian, non Singaporeans, why? Attitude n mindset.

Preference to hire, and fake credentials are different matters. Many Singaporeans also suspected to have fake credentials but below certain salary and position, not worth the resources to investigate them. Imagine a degree holder not able to type a professional sounding, proof read email to clients. Investigation has two consequences. 1. HR never do the job 2. The job don't require expertise. Both do not reflect positively on the organisation.

My humble opinion
I am Singaporean, I feel that our jobs are not stolen, we let opportunities slip by. I don't resent the foreigners because it's an issue worldwide, hating don't solve anything. I ponder why we are less preferred, and collectively graded low. it's possible our well paid ministers puppets of LHL made big mistakes in policy shaping our attitude and mindset, and for pride, refuse to make changes. 99 percent SME, and LHL rushing to every large company opening ceremony sends a strong message that our people are not attractive as employees. But on the flipside, at least our gov is willing to take action, right or wrong is another topic.
No point making this thread a politics one. It doesn't help a whee bit.