Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - How is life as a doctor in Singapore?
View Single Post
Old 10-03-2019, 07:05 PM
Unregistered

Hi, would like to seek some advice here (may sound like a silly question)
I am currently a PGY4 (Singaporean who graduated from UK in 2015, but returned to Singapore in 2016 as MO). have done mainly medical postings (in different subspecialities) since I returned to Singapore across all 3 clusters. I am interested in IM/fam Med (as in I am happy to do either), also currently doing GDFM and working on my PACES (MRCP- passed part 1/2)

I failed with my residency application in 2017 (IM) and 2018 (last year- FM). I would like to ask
- are older applicants at a disadvantage when it comes to residency. (from what I see, IM/FM residents across all 3 clusters tend to be PGY 1-3)

- Would it be better for me to stick to 1 cluster for my future mopex postings? (I was thinking of moving around all 3 clusters for mopex so that I can apply to all 3 clusters for residency (and also hopefully apply for SR or AC jobs in all 3 clusters in the future- in the context of IM residency), but now on hindsight not sure it would be better to stay in 1 cluster all the way?

- What is the future of doctors who dont get into residency? (i.e how is the market demand for GPs, RPs in polyclinics or restructured instituitions/hospitals)

I will probably try again this year and maybe next year (since my MOHH bond finish in 2021), before concluding that perhaps no one wants me and GP is my only option.

Hoping for some genuine advice.

Thanks