Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Anyone jobless for a long time before?
View Single Post
Old 28-02-2019, 01:00 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcat25 View Post
what kind of skills are companies looking for in a HR assistant/Admin role? I have non-HR degree background. Been jobless around 9 months and every month I apply upto 100 positions. workforce singapore is really unhelpful. i really need advice.
I am sorry to hear about your predicament. I felt for you and read most of your posts. It is OK to be a director of your dad's company at this point, just don't put it in your resume, just do a verbal mention to HR if it's fine to remain. If you flaunt it then it will raise brows.

Hundreds if not thousands of fresh Biz and HR graduates are out. Even without experience they have foundation skills to do the job, which you don't. Besides HR is mostly software now, which makes an even tighter market.

Look good and speak clearly at the interview starting with a firm handshake. Don't rush to regurgitate whatever you memorized. You must look like you are ready handle anything. Software cannot replace people skills.

To get real experience, join a recruitment firm to learn the on the job. People there tend to be sales oriented and selfish though, but almost anyone can get a job, probation for 3 months.

I believe your background is psychology. This field can prosper if you move up towards a master or better a PhD. Most biz/hr graduates do a minor in psychology and that is enough to do the job. You may consider to get certified in personality profiling if yet to obtain, be it disc mbti or 16pf. Big companies strongly believe in profiling as initial filter.

Write a compelling cover on how psychology can get them the right candidate. But of course you must be able to execute.

If I may suggest, maybe try to apply for various internship open now. You can always indicate your passion for HR subsequently should you still like it.

Don't give up.