Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Career as Teacher
View Single Post
Old 22-02-2019, 02:51 AM
Puzzled

Question Appreciate your help here!

Hi! I am still an undergraduate in my final year (business) but I have recently applied for the PGDE program with MOE. I was shortlisted for an interview for the upcoming Dec 2019 batch. This may seem a little far fetched but I do have many queries and would appreciate if any of you can answer them.

If I opt not to be bonded by moe, what are my chances of being enrolled into NIE?

I am wondering how life is like during and after PGDE. I have friends who is released from school at 1pm during the contract teaching period and need not deal with much admin work. Will that stay throughout the entire contract period or will workload pile up?

I was offered to teach English and Mathematics in primary school. Will all teachers be teaching both subjects assigned? Do I get to choose which level to teach (lower / upper Primary)?

Is there an opportunity to teach other subjects say, Science, or move up to secondary level in future? Will i need to continue my studies then?

Is it compulsory for teachers to take on CCA and / or event planning for the school?

Is there any difference between teaching in school and at a tuition centre? I’ve taught in a tuition centre before and because the class size are not as big as those in schools, it is manageable. Will bigger class size pose as a hindrance? I thought class sizes might be smaller now due to lower birth rate and etc.

What about moonlighting? The most recent article was published in 2013 where teachers are not allowed to moonlight for more than 6 hours. Does that still stand or has it changed?

What has changed for teachers since MOE has removed examinations for P1 and 2 students, P3 and P5 mid year exams, together with a more lax scoring system for PSLE students?