Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Lawyer Salary
Thread: Lawyer Salary
View Single Post
Old 07-02-2019, 02:04 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Precisely. I see so many forum posters here keep talking about partnership this, partnership that, how much do I earn as a partner, oh Big 4 partnership is not prestigious only MC is, blah blah blah. Like as though its a given or an entitlement.

Without even the slightest idea what that entails. Partnership is essentially sales. You are selling yourself, your skills, and that of your team and your firm.

If you don't make sales, you won't make (equity) partner. Sure if you stay in Big 4, you will become a junior salaried partner, which is the equivalent of a senior senior associate.

In the US firms, if you're not on the partnership track, you're "of counsel". They don't waste time keeping unproductive people around as partners.

Most people don't make partner because they can't sell. With the way some lawyers talk, its so insufferable I'm not surprised. They are only socially adept at talking to other lawyers and piss business people or the clients off. Its the good ones who can talk to the clients well that hang around for the long term.

The way people here talk, I'd bet half of them are probably students or NQ with absolutely NO idea about law firm economics.
I think this applies more if you're trying to make partner in the Singapore office of a MC/US firm. Whereas in London, given the number of institutionalized clients there, there's much less of a focus on "sales" in corporate and finance work.