Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - How is life as a doctor in Singapore?
View Single Post
Old 10-01-2019, 11:13 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hi all

I understand that jobs are limited and getting a consultant job or residency position is going to be tough - in light of that, how does one become an RP or get an offer?

Is it possible to become an RP having only done an MO posting in the relevant department or is residency a requirement?

I often hear doctors speaking of migrating to other countries, such as canada, australia or new zealand where the hours and pay are better. How realistic is this with a Singaporean degree? I understand it isn't recognised by many countries.
The NUS YLL degree is highly respected internationally and most first world countries would readily accept its graduates, but MOH has requested its Commonwealth counterparts like Australia/NZ/Canada to NOT recognise the YLL degree as an equivalent degree to intentionally restrict Singaporean doctors mobility, consequently there's more hoops to jump through instead of being able to practice straightaway like a local graduate. Now this used to be fine back in the 90s and even early 2000s, however now with MOH ramping up its intake from third world countries to increase competition for us, isn't it high time MOH remove this artificial barrier to Singaporean doctors mobility so we can help promote the brand of Singapore Medicine beyond our shores?