Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Lawyer Salary
Thread: Lawyer Salary
View Single Post
Old 05-01-2019, 03:51 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Then how u explain why some JLCs/DPP is in the 2016 list for instance and why the top student for NUS is also the top in the 2015 list? Other than consistency and truly the most outstanding (being able to juggle agc commitments), there are no other credible reasons for this
New poster here, just find this debate about part b funny. If you are looking at private practice, part b is just another distinguishing factor to the firms when hiring but is in no way a good indicator as to whether or not one will do well in private practice. I have seen fchs/good 2.1s with part b list who are totally not cut out for private practice (low EQ, no commercial awareness or common sense, only booksmart, poor client servicing skills). Granted, there are 1-2 who are brilliant but you get the idea, the rest are not any different from those who did not get on the part b list. I am not in the civil service and I don't teach so I can't comment on how good an indicator the part b list will be for those areas.

Those who got on the list, good for you but you will still have to be humble and work hard.

To a certain extent, FCH may not be a good indicator as well. Part B and/or FCH, it may get you an interview or a TC but whether or not you are retained or hireable as a lawyer requires a different set of skills which is hard to measure with exams.