Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - How is life as a doctor in Singapore?
View Single Post
Old 16-09-2018, 05:38 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hi all I was hoping for some advice.

I'm a GP trainee working in the UK, with about 11 months to go before CCT. After I qualify I'm considering moving to Singapore.
Does anyone have any experience of the process post-CCT? Is it possible to go straight into GP practice in Sg or do you have to get registration via the hospitals for 2 years?

I went to an Sg-approved UK medical school but speak mando/canto.

Also would appreciate ballpark figures of expected salary- for reference a newly qualified GP here working as a locum makes £80 (140sgd) an hour, with 10 minute consultation slots, seeing ~14 patients per half day session and handling any associated paperwork (referrals etc).

You will recieve conditional registration at first, therefore will not be able to practise privately. If you are caught locuming with a conditional registration, your license will be revoked and may sued by the medical registration act.

You need to serve in the public hospital or polyclinic as a RP resident physician (pay is about 5 to 7k per month with 2-3mth bonus in all, making a total of 75-105k pay) effective tax rate at 100k income is around 8%. So compares favourably to UK. Rent in singapore is much cheaper than london. A 600sqft condo rent is just 2 to 2.5k. In london it may be twice as much.

In singapore polyclinic, there is no such thing called ten minute slot.
14 patients per half day session is a bit slow. You will get a lot of complaints from your co MO, bosses, and patients sitting outside your room.

You are expected to see around 50-70 per day.

In Singapore, to enter family physician register typically u need a further graduate diploma or mmed and another further 3 years of practice experience.

Although you have an MRCGP, i would still recommend you to sign up for gdfm. With mrcgp and gdfm, you can apply for full member of college of family physician of singapore and family physician register. GDFM is a two years course and fees of 10k.

In view of increased workload, reduced pay, personally i dont find coming to Singapore a very great option.