Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Freight Forwarding industry -- Fresh grad inquiries
View Single Post
Old 19-08-2018, 12:44 AM

santaends is on a distinguished road
Default Freight Forwarding industry -- Fresh grad inquiries

Hi all,

I will be graduating end of this year with a BA Economics degree from one of the local U's. Have relevant internship experience in two freight forwarding firms.

1. Would like to ask, what kind of first job should I get if my end goal is supply chain solutions (contract logistics, solution design and implementation). Do I have to start in air/sea freight customer service or is there another path? I don't have the "relevant 2-3 years experience in relevant industry" unless driving forklifts and class 3 vehicles in the army counts.

2. Am I at a strong disadvantage compared to people with supply chain/industrial engineering degrees? Many jobs call for these 2... When companies ask for these 2 degrees specifically, should I apply anyway?

3. What is a good starting asking pay? Is 2.7k too much?

4. Besides Excel and Tableu/PowerBI, what are some useful hard skills that I can self teach to improve myself to be more useful to my boss before starting work in this line?

5. If I look for jobs in shipping lines/ airlines, how hard would it be to jump back to work for a forwarding company?

6. Is a masters in supply chain necessary at this stage, or should I just work first and see how later on?

Thank you!

Last edited by santaends; 19-08-2018 at 12:48 AM.