Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Lawyer Salary
Thread: Lawyer Salary
View Single Post
Old 18-08-2018, 12:45 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
You should be reading through the threads to find the answer to your question. If you don't like doing research I have some bad news for you...

In any case, I don't mean to step on anyone's toes, but NUS law, no question. SMU law grads are typically (the operative word being "typically") seen as all talk and little substance, according to a number of practitioners I've candidly spoken to over the years. It does not help that the hiring partners in my practice group appear to share this view.

Hang onto that offer, though be warned; I've been told that the culture at NUS law is rather toxic (good preparation for the cesspool of toxicity that is the legal profession, perhaps?)
i'm a 3-4 PQE nus grad and after several years of working with other smu and nus grads, i can honestly say there is really no difference. both are solid picks and produce grads who are technically sound in the law.

i used to be an nus snob but that whole supposed rivalry is really overblown and only a thing if you're still a law student.

its the law grads that are from the subpar lower tier overseas schools that are the problem. many of them like to talk a lot, take shortcuts and have rather weak foundations when it comes to legal thinking comprehension and understanding. i think 4 years of rigorous local law education and fighting the bellcurve really makes a whole world of difference.

the good thing about nus is the sheer diversity of modules available in so many areas of law. really took it for granted then & now i realise the wide selection of subjects offered is really a privilege. nus is a solid pick if you want to do a reputable LLM overseas later or are interested in academia.

smu has lesser breadth of modules but the professors are just as good - many were in fact poached from nus! on the plus side they've got a swanky new building, if you're into shiny superficial things.