Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Anyone jobless for a long time before?
View Single Post
Old 16-08-2018, 12:10 PM

1drowssap is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I will be honest also... I am minority race and have trouble finding jobs. Cannot confirm if they are not hiring me for positions cos I am of a certain minority race, but when comparing to my peers who applied for the same jobs and who have less internships (in terms of both quality and quantity) and also who have lower GPA and academic awards - there may be a slight disadvantage maybe because of perhaps the so-called cultural fit. Fyi I am a fresh grad from local uni with GPA very close to 1st class. Have been applying for 6 months now.

And it may not because of my interviewing skills as well, cos from knowing these peers in class, the way they articulate their thoughts and from the substance of their words, I am relatively better than them at talking.

So you must try your best not to get disappointed too much and keep pushing on. Must try harder to stand out from the rest of the candidate pool, more so cos of possibility of cultural fit disadvantage.
Referring to post #1781, the strangest part about your story that I can't find believable, is that given your background, you should be able to get quite a few job offers.

I really don't think race is the most important factor when not hiring you. It probably is due to things like lack of relevant job experience. The reason being is a lot of people in your profile, i.e. local grad, near to 1st class hons, would easily be able to get a job a few months before graduation.

A little bit about me, I am a prospective student for a private uni(i.e. I will already be in a much worse position compared to you). If you can't get a job, then I can't either by your logic. After trawling through so many posts, I have learnt two things that are very important in the work place for a fresh grad.

1. Your uni prestige
2. Your degree classification

You have both. So it really seems like a mystery to me that you can't get a job, let alone a good job.

So this only leads to a few conclusions.

One. You are aiming way to high. I can't really expand more since I am quite new to this. This probably could mean working in a Front Office of a foreign bank or something. Or maybe working for the Ministry of Foreign Affairs or some other prestigious ministry like MOF. Anyone reading, correct me if I make any mistakes.

Two. You don't have the relevant skills or job experience. From what I hear, many students get opportunities to do placements and things like that at NUS. So this means that either you didn't take your placements seriously, or had a change of heart and wanted to pursue some other career option that you had no chance to gain experience in at your placement.

I can't see any other real reasons for them to reject you.
Either ways, more work experience can't hinder you. If you can tolerate it financially, be an unpaid intern at your dream job or something. It is better than just randomly applying for jobs.