Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Compare civil service salary
View Single Post
Old 05-04-2011, 06:34 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hi guys, care to share your view? For a fresh engineering deg grad with 2nd lower hons, which will be a better choice? 25 YO now.

a) 3.3k DSTA engineer or b) 2.6k shipyard engineer?

Pros:
a) Better work life balance (5 days vs 7days), slightly more comfortable job, job security.
b) V.good bonus payouts (>7mths) , definitely learn much more technical knowledge. Possibility of expanding into better paying jobs like in oil/petrochemical industry.

Fears:
a) will be stuck after 5 years and salary capped below 5k. Difficult to join in private sector as skill-sets might be irrelevant.
b) huge competition especially from foreigners (i have a lot of classmates who are getting better grades and asking for even lower pay)

Right now i am leaning towards a) as the +$700 a mth will really help in repaying my tuition fee loan (18k balance @ 4.75% int so will take me ~ 8 mths to clear it). Appreciate any advice. Thanks.

Absolutely would care to share.

1) Short work days and work week (9-hour day, 5-day week) may not always apply in DSTA, especially if you deal with software.

2) Not true that your skills will be irrelevant. In each industry, there will always be some skills that are generic and can be ported across to another company.

It is up to the individual to look after his own as well as his company's interests. That is, while you are deciding on/ fulfilling your business objectives, bear in mind you need to develop yourself professionally. There will be ways to do that.

3) I'm afraid it may be the case that your base salary could indeed be <5K after 5 years given you'll be starting at 3.3K.
I am of the opinion that the base is important, but some companies (your second company) look at the total annual compensation. So, the other pay components come into play. And in DSTA, the other components are decent.

By the way, 3.3K for 2nd lower... Has this been stagnant for close to 2 years? Or even decreased?

In DSTA, most will not be filthy rich.
But they will not let you starve.