Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Career as Teacher
View Single Post
Old 12-08-2018, 06:59 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridhwan1820 View Post
going a bit off course here but i hope i can get my queries addressed. I hope there are some HRs here in the civil service department.

Can i ask how exactly is the hiring process conducted? Is the hiring determined by one person or a couple of people? How much can prejudice factor in when deciding the best person for the job? Yes i am talking about race. Is hiring really done based on meritocracy?

I have been applying for close to 100+ jobs in the goverment portal website since i had graduated with a 1st class honors from ntu last year (i was even a 4-time dean lister with a near perfect score). And yes i am a singaporean, albeit i am a minority. Out of the 100+ jobs so far, i had been invited for an interview thrice, failing to get any job offers so far. And no I didnt put too high an expected salary (3.2k - 3.5k which is near or below market rate) and no i dont think i lack presentation skills either. And no there is nothing wrong with my resume either - i had it checked by friends and a professional. And no, i only applied for jobs relevant to my degree unless is is stated that they consider any degree.

Is there favouritism in the public sector? are there directives that HR has to adhere to when recruiting in order to ensure fair employment practices? I am thinking of giving up hope in applying for a civil service job and try my luck in the private sector instead.

Hope to get views from HRs and maybe minority job applicants who were successful before. - no bashing please, just need advise.

For you, you are better off being a researcher.. continue with your masters and PhD.

Being dean's list, FCH even from NUS/NTU means nothing if you have no EQ or cannot work.. Have seen people like that. Even scholars, even my own relatives as well. Oops..