Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Lawyer Salary
Thread: Lawyer Salary
View Single Post
Old 18-07-2018, 09:46 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I'm the original PQE2 poster of the in house question, thanks for sharing this. In house 8.5k during early 30s would indeed be a paycut as I'm currently making that excluding bonuses (in my late 20s).
How much room is there for salary growth when an in house counsel hits her/his peak at 40s-50s? Would 3-400k pa (similar to a partner) be achievable? Cheers again
It is possible, though i must be honest - its rare. As an in-house you are no longer a profit center but a cost center.

One option is to look out for Banking/FI jobs, particularly in specialized areas like PE.

The other way is the join a credible start-up. Fintech is on the up at the moment and when these start-ups get bought over or list on stock exchange, you'll likely be able to cash out. Think Alibaba's acquisition of lazada.

In "industries" there is a clear divide between in-house counsels that want to do only legal work and in-house counsels that go above and beyond to involve themselves in the business planning and execution (think executive decision making). My GC earns partner level pay, but he is as much a business man as he is a lawyer. You will have to determine for yourself what kind of in-house counsel you want to be - this too determines how much you can earn.