Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Really that bad for engineers?
View Single Post
Old 03-04-2011, 02:20 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Let me try to explain the job scope of a project engineer in a petrochemical industry based on what I know...

A project engineer (at least in the place I work for) does the following:
- executes plant changes (the development and initiation of the project are not done by the project engineer, he/she is only responsible for executing the change i.e. costing of project, securing material, manpower and resources and ensuring the change is excuted within a specific timeframe).
- when the change is completed, he is in charge of ensuring that the change is executed as per plan (going on site to check on the work quality of the contractors that he entrusts the project with)
- alot of paper work involving the project that he executes (from obtaining approval, to project close out to all the costing coordination with vendor/contractors)
- works very closely with the people who develops the projects as they need to know the detail. so alot of time is spent on meetings/discussions with the projects developers/initiators.

Also, I think there's a misconception about the safety in a petrochemical plant. Statistically speaking, people die on the road in car accident much much more frequent than people dying in the petrochemical industry. It's actually much safer to work in the plant than driving to work =) Toxic gas releases, fire and explosions are not as frequent as one imagine it to be. There are many safeguardings in place to prevent people from getting hurt at work (be it equipment or human safeguards).

Pay wise, I would estimate a project engineer in the early 30s to be drawing a total annual package of about S$100K (including all forms of bonus). Hope this information helps.
Yes, your job discription of project engineer is only half correct. Don't just say on the good side. It is NOT just plain paper work and co-ordination but also the ensuring of physical building/modification of the plant as of your requirement. The word "PROJECT" engineer means everything of your project.

If your EPC contractor has ordered a new distillation tower or high pressure vessel, you might need to witness the testing... There.. you will risk your life to withness high pressure testing and somtime going into confine space internal tower inspection.

If your EPC contractor need lifting crane for installation of new distillation tower and the lifting procedure fails as it hit on other plant equipment.. You will screw your EPC contractor as your company screw you... You may be the king of your EPC contractor but you are liable for their actions..That is kind of heavy responsibilities against the so called "high paid" salary.

Every plant leaks(matter big or small) is true. Don't believe if you are on the plant tour and you will know it.. only the leak is small and not enough for fire/explosion. However, risk life for long term exposure to that smell..