Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - I am interested in the medical area
View Single Post
Old 26-06-2018, 01:14 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueberry View Post
Hi, I have an Engineering diploma some donkey years ago from local Poly but after graduated from Poly, went to work in the legal industry as an ordinary 9-5 hr office staff. Recently, after seeing so many relatives down with old-age illness, I became interested about health and toying with the idea of becoming a medical doctor. I am in my 40s and have no degree whatsoever. I literally have forgotten what I studied in Physics and Chemistry and have never studied Biology before. I have no interests in Banking, Accounting, Business or Engineering degrees so doing those subjects part-time just to get a degree is out of the qn for me. Anyway I can get started studying medicine ? Feel free to criticize me so that I know whether I am just day-dreaming for the impossible or not. Or I should just get real and get a business degree instead.
1. Local Uni definitely no chance given your age and profile

2. Overseas. Very very Low chance esp given your non relevant diploma.

3. Overseas mbbs will cost you abt 500k. If you got half a mil at your age , you might be better off investing it in the stock market or something.

4. 40s is really too late to change career. Esp med. by the time you finish training. You will be almost 50. You think you can go do 18hr houseman shift? Then by the time you qualify as a doc, your runway will only left 10yrs or so.

That said. I know of someone who went into TCM in his 40s from a Engineering career. Now owns his own tcm clinic.

Good luck