Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - prospects of a scholar
View Single Post
Old 31-03-2011, 12:01 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by bongewj View Post
I will be studying Mechanical Engineering at University of Michigan, Ann Arbor under DSTA scholarship. bond is 6 years. does that help?

In addition, can i know how much value an overseas education adds when looking for a job. Assuming that i leave after the bond, does it really matter if, e.g. i get a masters from stanford or mit? will they look at work experience more or education?

thanks for the reply!
University of Michigan is quite a reputable uni and beats NTU and NUS hands down with regards to obtaining work overseas (if you're passionate in the mechanical engineering field). The bond is quite long though and especially with DSTA. 6 years is a really long time and you'll find that you'll be behind your peers (doing finance) in career development and pay.

Like the above poster, if your family can afford it, try not to take up the bond, do your engineering at uni michigan, work in the states a little, do your masters from mit or stanford and you should lead a comfortable life. Bottom line is, if you plan to go the engineering route, it's wasteful to do so in Singapore. They are not regarded highly. Working in the states though is another thing if you remain in this line.