Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Career as Teacher
View Single Post
Old 03-06-2018, 05:39 PM
HQ worker

Find it hard to meaningfully respond to this because the work can really differ in different divisions within HQ.

Some quick thoughts:

1) Pace of work is generally more consistent and moderate - this is probably untrue of certain divisions (esp. those that work closer to the minister), but generally I think that it's less hectic than in school (where life is often crazy during term time), but we also don't get as much of a lull period during the longer school breaks. There's still plenty of work to be done, but I personally enjoy having more time to properly plan and work towards deadlines.

2) Rewards may feel less immediate - a lot of what we do can make a big impact, but it can take very long to see the fruit of your labour; as opposed to school where you might feel good at the end of a good lesson, counsel a student who needs help, or even just see how they've improved at the end of the academic year.

3) Organisational structure is pretty flat - HOD, SH and BT-level officers all work together on projects. Sometimes the BT could be the team IC (admittedly such officers are usually scholars). Even the Deputy Directors (typically VP level officers) are pretty close to the ground.

There are elements of school work I definitely miss (mainly interaction with students in class, and the feeling of making a difference more immediately), but I'm glad to have experienced the other side.

(Also, frankly I think it's good to have at least some work experience outside of teaching to have a more holistic idea of the skills our students will need in the future, for those of us who joined immediately upon graduation.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Care to share what are the pros and cons in terms of difference between life in HQ and in schools?

Just found out that a friend of mine from the same batch received the same piece of news but his is for a four year stint 🤔