Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Working in a bank
View Single Post
Old 22-05-2018, 10:15 PM
Unregistered

thanks for the insights. having done executive search before for a short time i agree, most ppl will be shock if they ever find out how much the so call condemn functions like ops, hr, it, finance etc. are making. in many case its even higher than those frontline functions.

main difference is those frontline sales and customer facing function have a culture willing to spend, brag and act cool, so ppl w/o industry knowledge get the wrong impression they are very rich.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I disagree with the common misconception that ops is boring SOP nothing to learn and no future while "FO" (don't think anyone in banking industry considers them FO btw) like Priority, Private, Commercial or Corporate Banking is sexy, exciting, high paying and can progress quickly.

Ops side also got people move up to SVP or MD level and if you are a low level Manager or AVP grunt the work is going to be boring as you are really just doing all the 'sai gang' for the higher ups. Other than those elite jobs where people with talents or connections jump straight into action, this sort of hardship is just requirement that most people need to go through for the first 10-20 years of their career.

Sometimes I hear similar complains from my peers in other industries always saying how support or ops depts cannot make it nothing to learn and sales & marketing is where all the action & money is. But if you look at it objectively, IT support also can rise up to IT Director / CTO, Procurement can be Supply Chain Director, operations can be COO etc.

It's all about whether you can move up the ladder with a combination of performance, politics, connections and luck. This idea that the closer you are to revenue generating and customer facing, the more to learn and faster salary progression is just not true for most industries including banking.