Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Anyone jobless for a long time before?
View Single Post
Old 10-05-2018, 11:56 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by icecloud View Post
Hi guys! I am so demoralized after resigning from my first perm job. I was so happy that I got myself a compliance position at a remittance company. But who knows the work environment is just terrible. Being made to collect personal purchases for my boss, carrying large amount of cash (talking about 100k or more) to the bank. When I resigned, I gave 2 weeks notice but my boss asked me if I wanted to leave now, she can let me leave. I said okay then she asked me to change my resignation letter. Who knows, when my cheque came, she deducted 2 weeks of my salary. From 1.6k to 500 dollars. She only asked me about the pay for the day I resigned so I said since I worked for a few hours, its okay if I don't get paid. I am just so ignorant and I feel so stupid for not being aware that my 2 weeks of pay will be cut just like that. I should have known when she asked me to change my letter and she even made me sign.

Btw, my basic is 2.3k but I resign before reaching 1 month. I OT daily (from day 1) to clear backlog and I was never paid. She gave us crazy amount of backlog and expected us to clear it in less than a week.

Tried applying to so many jobs and none of them got back to me. I have tried agents too. What is the use of achieving a second upper and studying for a degree I wonder.
I feel sorry for you. Every time I read about such stories, my heart aches. Here, we have hardworking folks trying to make an honest living and getting the short end of the stick by uncaring and money-minded employers.

Worst were where the employers also verbally and sometimes physically abused their staff.

I have been urging my younger colleagues to start saving and investing when the going is good, and not wait till the work environment becomes unbearable. We may be happy with our work environment but things can change especially once bosses change or economic situation turns for the worse.

Many times, we often hear people (ourselves too) say they want the pay but not the work! Well, when you invest (not trade) for passive income, you get close to the above scenario where you get the "pay" - passive income, without having to work for it.

I started my investing journey a bit late in my career when I was at a cross-road - deciding whether to change job or take on a new post in a different department. It has been 15 years since that decision point and I am glad that I started my investing journey. By diligently investing, it forced me to save and control my spending.

I am now at the stage of "I get the "pay" but not the work!" because my passive income has grown substantially. I am still working but I have options now! Different perspective also when you dont depend on your job for survival.

So remember, when you secure your next job, put some money aside each pay day and invest it. All the very best in your job hunt.